Top Social

Water Spotting Nail Art

Thursday, January 29, 2015
Essie-Smokin-hot-water-spotting-nail-art
Hi guys! Today's post is Day 3 of the 31 Day Challenge. I didn't forget, I actually have about a week's worth of posts already done, I just had to place them on standby when I got sick. I mentioned previously that I'm doing these behind schedule and I'm not planning on catching up either since the challenge only has a few days left. I'm just going to continue to do them in order until I finish. Today's prompt is water spotting. There's more after the break!


essie-chincilly-water-spotting-nail-art

For this nail art look I used Essie Smokin' Hot as my base and Essie Chinchilly as the accent color. Water spotting is pretty simple. You just place a few drops of polish unto your water and then spray with some type of alcohol based spray. I've done it before and I've tried different types of body sprays, perfumes, and hair sprays with mixed results. To be honest, what's worked best for me is simply acetone. Just take an old paint brush or toothbrush and dip it in acetone, then you just flick the bristles over your water until you're happy with the effect. I got the idea from this video from Nailsbylins.

water-spotting-nail-art-31dc2015

Here's a little close-up shot. I matted it with Wet n Wild Matte top coat. And that's it! It's a simple technique that can be used for some amazing nail art. I need to play with it some more. Depending on how close you position your brush and how many times you flick acetone on the polish, you can get different effects.

My matte top coat caused some random white flecks all over the mani as it dried. When I woke up in the morning they were gone but I had already taken the pictures. I mention it just in case anyone notices. Interestingly, this is the only time it's happened and I've used that matte top coat tons of times. I've even used it several times after I did this mani a few weeks ago and it hasn't happened again. I'm not sure what causes it.

So what do you think? Have you done the water spotting technique before?

Stalking is encouraged! Go follow Mama Hearts Polish at BloglovinFacebookInstagram, and Pinterest

24 comments on "Water Spotting Nail Art"
  1. I haven't done water spotting nail art before, but it is definitely on my to do list! I didn't notice the white flecks at all, even when I looked for them after you mentioned it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well that's good, I see them most obvious in the close-up.

      Delete
  2. I haven't done this technique get but this makes me want to! Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karen! It's easier than marbling so it should be pretty easy for you!

      Delete
  3. This is pretty. I've never done water spotting before

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very pretty! Yes, I have done this technique with a teal base and black spotting, I was happy with how it turned out :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to do it that way. I'm guessing yours looked like turquoise stone?

      Delete
  5. I've never tried this, but I love it! The combo of colors really makes it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like this color combination! I've never tried this technique before, but I'll definitely have to give it a go!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nadia, I love this mani! It looks so cool. Thanks for the tip about the acetone too, that comes in handy for me. Good call to matte it too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! Acetone really made it easier. Also, I didn't have to go out and buy hand-sanitizing spray (which is what's originally used in most of the tutorials I've seen) or keep wasting perfumes.

      Delete
  8. I have had this technique on my To Try list for a while - your gorgeous mani makes me want to finally do it!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Shawna! It's really easy to do.

      Delete
  9. This looks really good. I like the color combo as well. Another technique to add to my "try this" list.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That looks like the plant lithops!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had to google that plant. I've never heard of it before. It sorta does look like a lithops.

      Delete
  11. I was going to try some water spotting last night but chickened out for some reason lol. You're right it's a fantastic technique. I love how this turned out.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, these are stunning! I have both of these colors and I clearly need to break them out again soon! Is water spotting harder or easier than water marbling?

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have got to try this!! This looks better than their mattes that are out now.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, I love this! The monochrome color palette is really nice. :)

    ReplyDelete

Custom Post Signature

Custom Post  Signature