Top Social

Breaking the Biting Habit January Update

Sunday, January 4, 2015
breaking-biting-habit-jan-2015-right-hand

Hi guys! Today I have a Breaking the Biting Habit for January 2015, as well as some news about the future of Mama Hearts Polish. Make sure to read on after the break to see how I'm doing and what products I'm using on my journey to break a nail biting habit of 22 years.

So as you can see my left/swatch hand is doing pretty good. I'm currently thrilled with the length and cuticle health. They where longer and I had to file them down because I just couldn't get used to it. I filled them down a little bit more after I took the picture so they'd be less square and would match my right hand. The only issue I have right now is that they're constantly splitting on the corners if they get too long. The weird texture on my ring finger is from a patch of acrylic overlay from the Orly Nail Repair kit.

breaking-biting-habit-jan-2015-left-hand

Here is my more abused right/Cindy hand. All of the nails except my index and thumb were doing really well, not very long but there was some free edge, until my middle and ring finger just snapped off during the holidays. They were super short and painful nubs for a couple of weeks and are now starting to grow again.

breaking-biting-habit-jan-2015-nail-care-products
Products I use

Besides keeping them polished all the time, the #1 thing that's helped my nails grow is proper hand and nail care. I've become obsessive about it and that's sort of the point. I replaced one bad habit for a good one.

Here's the list of what I'm using:
  1. Light buffing block
  2. Orange-wood stick for pushing cuticles
  3. Sally Hansen Instant Cuticle remover
  4. Renaissance Cosmetics Cuticle Oil in Peppermint
  5. Hand made mix of Vaseline Essential Healing Lotion with a few drops of 100% Tea Tree Oil
  6. Indigo Bananas Cuticle Balm
  7. Orly Nailtrition
  8. Sephora Glass Nail File
My routine is as follows:
  1. File nail down with the glass file and buff across the free edge, not over the surface of the actual nail.
  2. Apply cuticle remover, wait 30 seconds and push back with stick. Remove excess and wash hands.
  3. Once hands are dry, apply 1 coat of Nailtrition, apply 2 coats if I'm going to leave my nails "naked" aka sans polish.
  4. If doing a mani, apply two coats of nail polish and whatever nail art I'm doing that day, then topcoat.
  5. Once the nail polish is dry, apply Indigo Bananas Cuticle Balm. I reapply balm constantly throughout the day.
  6. Apply Cuticle Oil at night while working on the computer.
  7. Rub lotion on hands after washing them and before bed.
Every three days or so I will also use Pretty & Polished Cranberry Scrub on my hands while I'm in the shower. The Renaissance Cosmetics Oil is a new addition. I needed something a little stronger than the balm because even though I live in the tropics, the air is still a bit drier than normal during the winter months and I was getting a lot of hangnails.

Now I quickly want to talk about what 2015 has in store for Mama Hearts Polish. Mainly, a super strict no-buy challenge! This came about because I was looking at my recent purchases and feeling overwhelmed. I realized I had enough nail polish to do a new mani every 2 days for an entire year without repeating colors. My original idea was to take all the money I would save and pay off a credit card and save it for a huge birthday splurge in April, and then again in Black Friday. Unfortunately, my family now finds itself in a crossroads and faced with a lot of uncertainty. There's a very real possibility of having to leave Puerto Rico. The whole thing has make my anxiety worse than it used to be. On one hand, I probably won't have a disposable income to spend on nail polish anymore and on the other, I don't want to add to a stash that I might have to move overseas in the near future. So now it's a forced no-buy challenge.

In the meantime, I will continue to bring you honest reviews and swatches and simple nail art. I also hope to refine my free hand skills. I'm going to do the 31 Day Challenge for January 2015, hosted by Debbie from www.the-crumpet.com. I'm going to be doing it a little late (I'm already a few days behind) and not worry about sticking to the schedule but instead focus on completing the prompts. This will give me something to focus on while I get a better idea of what my near future holds and we can get a plan in place. (And hopefully keep me centered and calm through it all.)

I hope you guys will stick around with me for what's to come! What are your plans for the new year?

Stalking is encouraged! Go follow Mama Hearts Polish at BloglovinFacebookInstagram, and Pinterest!

26 comments on "Breaking the Biting Habit January Update"
  1. Your left hand looks so good, sorry to hear about your right hand though. :( Painful nubs are the worst!! I hope things will turn out okay for you & your family, keep us updated. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your nails are looking great! My right hand looks like a mess too so don't feel bad. I'm sorry to hear you're going through a tough time. Remember to keep your head up and that we'll be here for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on your progress - your nails and cuticles look fantastic. And wow! That no-buy is a major undertaking. I hope you have fun shopping your stash and it feels calming!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Most of my stash is still untried so I'm looking forward to it.

      Delete
  4. I remember when you started this series. You're doing great. The Orly Nail Nutrition looks interesting, I may have to try that. That stinks about the splitting, and that the Orly nail repair kit caused bumps. :-\

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sarah. Nailtrition is mostly a moisturizing base coat, it doesn't have formaldehyde. It's supposed to be for people who have weak or thin nails.. It doesn't help them grow any faster, it just keeps them moisturized and strengthened so they won't break. I've used other things but this has given me the best results so far.

      Delete
  5. Your nails and cuticles look great! Good luck on your no buy, I hope your nail polish continues be a source of pleasure and relaxation not anxiety! Most of all lots of positive vibes for you and your family <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your nails look healthy :) All the best for your 2015 upcomings..

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lookin' good Nadia! I need to try Nailtrition

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup.I recommend it to anyone who has trouble growing out nubs.

      Delete
  8. I wish you the best of luck in 2015 and in sticking to your no-buy as well. It's always a little different when you're forced by financial circumstances, I'm right there with you for the time being. It seems like everything from the house boiler to my car decided to break down within the last week. Like you, I'll be participating in the 31 Day Challenge to take my mind off things. I can't wait to see what you come up with. Side note: I thought the buffing block was a piece of cheese lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Roselynn. I lol at the cheese comment. I don't know why it's yellow, the previous block I had from Sallys in the same grit was white.

      Delete
  9. Your nails are so much more healthier and longer than when you first started.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So proud of how far you've come with your nails! Thinking of you as you make be transition from P.R. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your nails look great .... wish u all the best... <3

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think there is a lot to be said about untrieds....I mean you gave them a good home for a reason! It's always good to see polishes I have forgotten about or often get overlooked!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Here we go! We've declared the no-buys publically, now we have to stick with it! I hope your situation gets resolved in a way you want it too!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Such great progress! your cuticles are looking great!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is a great post. I can't believe that you were a nail biter. Your nails look great. All the best for future. I pray everything settles up nicely. We are right here so keep posting :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love everything about this post so much. Your nails are really looking healthy and strong. And you definitely make me want to take a closer look at how I can improve my routine. But mostly, maybe layin' off the purchases for while ;)

    ReplyDelete

Custom Post Signature

Custom Post  Signature