Top Social

Northern Star Polish Harry Potter Gift Set

Tuesday, November 10, 2015
northern-star-polish-harry-potter-gift-set

Today I have this super cute, awesome gift set from Northern Star Polish to show you guys. I was thrilled when I got picked to receive this set to review, I'm a big HP fan. The set comes in it's own box, sealed with a golden adhesive ribbon, with the polish and cuticle oil ingredients in the back. It includes 1 full size polish called Protego Totalum, 1 full size container of cuticle oil in the scent Butter Brew, some holographic gold lightning glitter and 2 owl charms in a little star container, and a little charm bottle totem full of red and gold glitter. Check below for swatches and the review, plus some nail art and a video!


Butter Brew Cuticle Oil

northern-star-butter-brew-cuticle-oil

Naked nails! Haven't shown those in a while. I just filed them down to semi-nubs yesterday because I spent all weekend swatching with long nails (ish, longer than my norm) and they were in desperate need of tlc, so I filed them down before they broke. This cuticle oil contains a blend that I hadn't come across before. It has jojoba, apricot, avocado, rice bran, meadowfoam, and rosehip oils with a butterscotch/vanilla ice cream fragrance blend Kristin of Northern Star whipped up herself. It felt slightly more "oily" than some of my other oils, with a slower absorption rate. Which I consider to be a great thing, perfect for applying in the morning and night. It made my skin feel moisturized for a long time and the scent is heavenly. Just look at how nice my cuticles and nails look, after 3 intense days of swatching, with just a few oil applications. I love it.

Protego Totalum Review

northern-star-polish-protego-totalum-swatch

northern-star-polish-protego-totalum-swatch-2

northern-star-polish-protego-totalum-macro

Protego Totalum is a beautiful, deep, cranberry red linear holographic with gold shimmer. Swatches are 2 thin coats with topcoat. It has a rich, opaque formula, easily a one coater with careful application, it's very pigmented. It has a medium consistency, if you load the brush with a lot of polish it will feel thicker, so I just used a small bead of polish to do super thin coats. It was easy to control and it did not run. There was slight staining during clean up with acetone, which is typical of some red pigments. I went over the stained areas with non-acetone remover and they cleared right up, no need to scrub with whitening toothpaste. The holographic sparkle was hard to capture on camera without proper sunlight, trust me when I say it's there and much stronger in person. Dry time was about 15 minutes. I did not experience any staining on my nails upon removal.

Nail Art

northern-star-polish-harry-potter-nail-art

The gift set includes gold lightning glitters, 2 owl charms, and the glitter charm totem to use in nail art. I love the little charm totem and decided to leave it as is, it's on display in my desk now. I used the owl charm and a lightening bolt vinyl to create some HP themed nail art. The gold polish is Gussied Up Gold by Pretty & Polished. There's a tutorial below. I tried to do something with the lightning bolts but I didn't love the look in the end so I kept it simple. You'll see some of it on my middle finger during part of the video.

Video Tutorial


The Harry Potter gift set will be available Friday November 13 at noon CST at www.northernstarcosmetics.com. It will retail at $17.50 for the full size 15ml bottle of Protego Totalum (only available in the set) and the full size 10 ml bottle of cuticle oil, plus the extras. I think it's a great value and a must have for any nail polish/HP fan. You can find Northern Star on Instagram and Facebook to keep up to date with all the latest information and swatches.

16 comments on "Northern Star Polish Harry Potter Gift Set"
  1. Super cute nail art! That polish is stunning

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a very nice gift set!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That nail art is so awesome! And, that polish is pretty also!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful nail art and review! I love this gift set!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Omg that red is georgous ♡ lovely mani !

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG, that owl charm is TDG!!! Love the art you did. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a beautiful polish! Your nail art is so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks again for the speedy review! And I love your tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I told you elsewhere, but I freaking love this!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those owl charms are adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I will definitely be picking this up!

    ReplyDelete
  12. In love! I love Kristin and NSP so this will be coming home with me! Gorgeous swatches!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What an adorable gift set and that red! Lovely swatches!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is such an awesome post Nadia! That polish looks ah-maze-ing!

    ReplyDelete

Custom Post Signature

Custom Post  Signature