Top Social

Overtone Review - Fantasy Hair Color Conditioners

Saturday, March 25, 2017
overtone-review-after-7

*Purchased by me.* That's my face you guys...with a filter and lots of makeup. Anywhoo, I want to start posting about other stuff besides nail polish so I figured I might as well start with the other thing in my life that's just as high maintenance as mah nails...mah hair! I kid...for the most part my hair is in a messy bun and au naturel. But I did dye it blue back in October 2016, after trying a purple/teal combo in August 2016 that failed (and I now know why so I'll probably attempt it later). It's been blue all this time and I often get asked how I keep it that way, if it's hard to maintain, and if I have to bleach it all the time. Well the answer to that is no, because I use Overtone every time I was my hair.

Overtone is a color depositing conditioner and not a hair dye. It gradually replaces the color you lose when you wash. They have two types of conditioners, the Daily Conditioners just deposit a hint of color, and the Go Deep weekly treatments that can be used to either add a boost to your existing color or if you have light blonde hair, actually color it.

overtone-review-after-6

As you can see in the pic above, I have naturally curly hair, it used to be curlier when I was a kid but the curl has softened a bit in the past years. I don't know about other curly haired girls out there but I can't properly style it unless it's wet. Now that doesn't mean I wash it everyday, instead I was my hair 2-3 times a week, and I condition it every day. I use the Daily Conditioners for this. Once every 2-3 weeks I use the Go Deep treatments to refresh the color and make it vibrant again.

The Daily Conditioners are really simple to use, just wash your hair and condition like normal. For the Go Deep, you have two options. You can apply it to wet hair and condition like normal, leaving it on for a few extra minutes, or you can apply it to clean dry hair the same way you'd apply hair dye and leave it on for as long as you want. I prefer the 2nd option. I'm gonna share my steps below!


Crazy "I just woke up" hair. As you can see the color has faded somewhat, especially in my roots where you can see some of the bleached hair showing through.


I use a combo of Vibrant Blue and Vibrant Teal. I recently added Extreme Blue with a bit of black hair dye for my roots but I did that after I took these pics.


There's a lot of pigment in these so you're gonna want to use the same stuff you'd need if you where coloring with hair dye. I use a mixing bowl to combine the colors, gloves, some hair clips, a brush(?) to apply the color, a wide tooth comb, and I don't know what the plastic hair baggy thing is called. It looks like a shower cap.


Awkward pictures in my bathroom ahead. Wear a crappy shirt you don't mind staining and protect the floor in case of spills. I start with clean dry hair. I usually wash it Friday evenings and then apply the conditioners 1st thing Saturday morning. I start by dividing my hair into 4-6 sections and securing with the clips.


Then I mix even amounts of the two colors in the bowl. If I'm touching up my roots, I'll mix a bit of the dark blue with black in a separate bowl. In this case, I didn't.


I apply the conditioner starting at the roots and then working in small sections. I tend to leave the ends alone and just apply regular conditioner to those. I want to create a gradient and leaving the ends washed out helps create the effect of dark to light. I'll use my fingers and the comb to evenly distribute the conditioner.


Once I've done my whole head, I'll clip it up and cover. I like to leave the conditioners on for about an hour or more. It doesn't matter as it won't damage your hair. Once the time is up, rinse it out until the water runs clear, style as usual, and you're done!

Here are some "after" pics both in the shade of my porch, outside, and with the sunlight behind me.



Couple of things...yes, I did have to bleach my hair 1st. As you can see from my roots, I have really dark brown/almost black hair. It has to be pretty blonde in order for the colors to show. I did it gradually, first bleaching some large sections, then others, and finally my entire head, waiting a few months in between. I didn't leave it blonde, I color it blue in between bleachings. 

Last thing, I purchased these conditioners myself. I wanted to write about them since I use them everyday and I think they are awesome. They are a bit pricey for conditioners (especailly if you're used to drugstore brands) but I think they are worth it. I hate going to the salon to get my hair done and I'm a big DIY girl when it comes to beauty and hair so this is perfect for me. If you want to check them out, their store is http://overtone.co


7 comments on "Overtone Review - Fantasy Hair Color Conditioners"
  1. I love your hair - this looks amazing! I wish they also had more natural colors - I would totally get this in a warm dark brown.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow, I had no idea this was a thing! Next time I try a bold color, I'll definitely be picking some up! Your hair is absolutely gorgeous, by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your hair color. I'm so boring and have never dyed my hair before!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Would you recommend getting both the daily and weekly conditioners? Or just the weekly as it seems the most effective, I wash my hair like every 3-4 days so I'm thinking I use regular color protect conditioner and every week and a half the weekly conditioner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In your case I would use just the weekly deep treatment conditioners. Since writing this post I've actually stopped using the daily conditioners. I know have two colors in my hair and having to section it everytime I need to condition is a pain. So now I use a color protecting conditioner and the deep treatment every 2 weeks. I was my hair 2x a week.

      Delete
  6. I'm not a big fan of fantasy hair color, but I must admit thtthis color really suits you!

    ReplyDelete

Custom Post Signature

Custom Post  Signature