Top Social

NPBC Link Up

Tuesday, February 3, 2015
mamaheartspolish-about-me-mani-collage

Hi guys! Today's post is a little different. I'm part of a Facebook group called The Nail Polish Blogger Connection and for the month of February we are having a blog link-up! We're all writing a post about our blogs and then linking up to other member's blogs on the bottom. I'm going to answer some questions and talk a bit about my blog after the break!

 Let's get started!

First of all, a bit about me. My name is Nadia and I'm a 30 something mother of two from Puerto Rico. I have a degree in studio arts but I'm currently a stay at home mom for the most part. I love sci-fi and lots of geeky things like books, science, art, movies, and tv shows. Some of my favorite fandoms are Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, Hunger Games, Harry Potter, and My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic. I also really like playing SimCity 4. Online, you can find me lurking several nail polish groups on Facebook and I'm an active member of the nail polish thread on the BHB on Babycenter under the name Princesa_Luna. Some fun facts: English is my second language, I'm a native Spanish speaker and I have a twin sister.

Now enough about me and let's talk about the blog!

What is the focus of your blog? The main focus of my blog is to keep track of my progress on my journey to break a nail biting habit of 20+ years. I also feature swatches and reviews of nail polish and nail care products as well as showcase simple nail art. As a mom, I don't have a lot of time to work on nail art so it has to be fast and easy, which is why you'll see a lot of stamping. :-)

What made you start blogging? I deal with depression and anxiety on a daily basis and part of that was that I bit my nails all the time. A couple of years ago, my family went through an emotionally difficult time and I realized that my nail polish obsession was an effective form of therapy.  I then started to polish my nails every other day and I wanted to share my attempts at nail art and thoughts on the hundreds of polishes in my collection. I soon noticed that by taking pictures of my nails, it made me not want to bite them. So I decided to get serious about it and start the blog in May 2014.

What keeps you blogging? Seeing how nice my nails look now, even though they are still short by some standards, is what keeps me motivated. I've now started working more on my freehand skills as well. I have an art degree but my typical medium was large scale oil paintings. Switching to working with nail polish and acrylics on some very small canvases has been challenge but I really enjoy getting to use my artistic skills every day. I'm also proud of all the little technical things about blogging that I've learned, like basic HTML and ways to customize a blog design.

What advice would you give to someone just starting a nail blog? The number one thing is to realize that blogging is a lot of work and it takes up hours just to make one post. You have to be committed and willing to put in the effort. Blog because you have something to say or a skill you want to show. Don't ever start blogging cause you want free stuff. There is no such thing as free stuff, it's work and the amount of "free stuff" you'll get is minimal, especially if you're just starting out. Start posting the stuff you own, learn about photography, become an active member in the different blogging and nail polish groups online, and the most important one is to read and comment on other blogs.

To end, can you share a link or two to a couple of posts that you're especially proud of?
If you're curious about the posts for the manis in the collage you can find those here:
Now that you've read all about me and my blog, make sure to check out the other blogs in the link up below!





1 comment on "NPBC Link Up"
  1. What an interesting read, I loved getting to know you a bit better! I completely agree with you on the "free stuff" part, just reading the term annoys me lol! One ex- nail biter to another look up electron microscope pictures of the microbes that normally grow on our skin, you will never want your nails anywhere near you mouth :D

    ReplyDelete

Custom Post Signature

Custom Post  Signature