Top Social

ORLY Sweet Tart Swatch

Saturday, October 18, 2014
orly-sweet-tart-red-jelly-swatch


Today is Simple Swatch Saturday with a bit of a nail polish fail thrown in. This was supposed to be my 1st attempt at a pond mani...yeah...nope. Can you see the flowers I stamped in between the layers of the red? Not really. Sigh. Anyway, the color is gorgeous so it still works as a great swatch! This is ORLY Sweet Tart, a red jelly that's so squishy and shiny and candy-like.


orly-red-jelly-mani

orly-sweet-tart-jelly-swatch
Sunlight

What can I say about this color? Well, it's perfect, it doesn't stain, easy to clean up, super easy to build up to opacity while still getting that squishy jelly look. Index and pinky have 3 coats. You really can't go wrong with ORLY, I haven't found a single one I don't like and it's quickly taking over as the main mainstream (non indie) polish brand in my stash.

pond-mani-stamping-orly-konad

Here's a closer look at the pond mani stamping attempt. What's a pond mani, you ask? Well, that's essentially when you layer nail art (dots, flowers, stripes, stamped images, whatever floats you boat) between the layers of jelly polish. Similar to the jelly sandwich, which I talk about here, the nail art is supposed to look like it's suspended in the jelly, like leaves floating in a pond. There are people who have done some gorgeous looks, so I recommend a good online search so you can see what it's supposed to look like.


My problem is that I used ORLY Tropical Pop (the yellow polish in the background of this pic) to stamp with. It looked great, until I covered it with Sweet Tart. Tropical Pop will stamp, but it's not dark/opaque enough to show up through the layers of red jelly polish. I need to try this with white, or maybe black for a vampy look. Tropical Pop is from the Baked collection and it's actually a yellow orange, definitely has more red tones in it (hence the orange part of yellow orange) than what is showing in the picture. I didn't take a picture but the flowers I used to stamp are from MoYou London Tropical 01 and I used my Konad stamper (the firm pink one). I still find that a firm stamper works better at picking up small or single images.

So what do you think? Gorgeous color, not so great stamping.

Stalking is encouraged! Go follow Mama Hearts Polish at Bloglovin, Facebook, and Instagram!

Be First to Post Comment !
Post a Comment

Custom Post Signature

Custom Post  Signature